Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson announced before Congress on Thursday that despite percentages being 40 percent lower than last year so far, unaccompanied children are still crossing the border by the tens of thousands.
“Last year, in 2014, the total number, including the Mexican [unaccompanied children], I believe, was 68,000,” Johnson said. “… If you take out the Mexican children, I believe the total number was about 58,000. I suspect if it stays at the current rate, we’ll come in at around… 60 percent of 68,000…”
Sixty percent of 68,000 is 40,800, meaning the 40 percent drop would equal a drop of 27,200 children.
Advertisement – story continues below
“For the kids, unaccompanied kids, it’s running about 40 percent lower,” Johnson said. “I hope it stays that way, but we have to be prepared in the event it doesn’t.”
Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, said that while he’s happy that the percentages are down, there are “still a lot” of UACs coming across.
h/t: CNS News
Advertisement - story continues below
What do you think? Scroll down to comment below.