Many critics of Hillary Clinton would no doubt agree with National Journal’s Ron Fournier — a frequent panelist on the Fox News program Special Report — when he says he doesn’t believe the former secretary of state and Democrat frontrunner for her party’s presidential nomination. Fournier cut loose today with an eye-popping post that slapped Clinton with the words “I don’t believe” not once or twice, but seven times in describing his deep-seated doubts about Hillary’s credibility and truth-telling on a range of topics.
On the subject of her emails and the highly controversial practice of keeping official communications on a personal, private server when she ran the State Department, Fournier writes that he doesn’t buy what Hillary said in a brief encounter with reporters on Tuesday. The candidate, in a rare moment or two answering press questions in Iowa, said she has no control over how and when the State Department would release emails relating to, among other things, her official interactions on Benghazi.
I don’t believe her because a person’s actions are more revealing than words: She kept her government email on a secret server and, only under pressure from Congress, returned less than half of them to the State Department. She deleted the rest. She considered them hers.
I don’t believe her when she says, “I want those emails out. Nobody has a bigger interest in those being released than I do.”
State Department officials had indicated it would be next year before they would release emails Mrs. Clinton had turned over to them. However, responding to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by Vice News, a federal judge has just said that distant timetable isn’t acceptable. As Politico first reported on Tuesday, U.S. District Court Judge Rudolph Contreras issued a written order that State must soon propose a new schedule for disclosing Clinton’s records batch-by-batch on a regular basis.
The Politico coverage noted: “The 55,000 pages of emails have become the source of much heartburn, speculation and bureaucratic man-hours since news emerged earlier this year that Clinton used a private email server during her time as secretary of state.
Advertisement - story continues below
“The controversy has complicated the roll-out of Clinton’s presidential bid and played into criticism that she and her husband are unduly secretive.”
The court ruling that rejects the State Department’s attempt to delay the release of the Hillary emails — thus allowing the candidate to stall their disclosure until the emailgate scandal is “old news” — comes on the heels of another Clinton controversy involving a second personal email address. As The Blaze and other conservative news sites noted earlier today, it was thought that Hillary Clinton may have been less than truthful when she told investigators that she only used one private email account as Secretary of State.
Emails published by the New York Times Monday indicate that Hillary Clinton used more than one private email address during her time as secretary of state, contradicting previous claims from the Democratic presidential contender’s office.
Multiple emails show Clinton used account “[email protected]” while serving in the Obama administration as secretary of state.
However, as CBS News later pointed out, subsequent investigation — and a strong defense of the candidate from Clinton’s campaign office — indicated that second email account may have shown up because Clinton’s primary account had been closed.
After Gawker published Clinton’s old address when she left the state department, she changed her email address to [email protected] Any messages printed after that time, even if they were several years old, reflected the new address.
In any event, controversy and criticism continue to follow Hillary Clinton wherever she goes and no matter what she says. The intensity of the Democrats’ concern over their leading contender’s viability is so great that, as The Washington Times notes in an opinion piece by Wesley Pruden, party leaders are seriously looking at alternatives for 2016.
And who’s waiting in the wings? Reports say Joe Biden and Martin O’Malley may be lacing up their running shoes.
Advertisement - story continues below