What did the Founders mean by “pretended legislation” in the Declaration of Independence? Are things different today in our lust for power? We don’t need another Alinskyite bombastic oration by a President. Nor do we need statesmen and legislators who have drifted far from their solemn oaths to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies foreign and domestic. The current flap over the “fiscal cliff” is merely symptomatic of broad ignorance of or disdain for the Constitution. “Progressives” are quick to point out their erroneous view that the Declaration has nothing to do with the Constitution. The Declaration is mostly known for its definitive statement that all men are created equal and are “endowed by their Creator with an inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
The Declaration also laments the king at length. E.g., “He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his assent to their acts of pretended legislation.”
Advertisement-content continues below
- “Combined with others”: In any form of government, there will always be interests competing for security of position and a piece of the pie. Corporations, unions, currency manipulators, speculators, academicians, lawyers, and others of despotic mind all jockey for power and money. How many seek justifiable profit by producing useful goods and services in a truly capitalistic system wherein money is the servant of exchange, not the master of debt?
Most of us are primarily interested in pursuing careers, raising families, enjoying life, and making meaningful contributions to society with our gifts and talents. We elect representatives to keep passions and usuries under control. An arena of fair play where all may have the opportunity to prosper does not include selected privileges for any racial or ethnic group or “deserving” union or corporation. No guarantees, just the opportunity to win or lose and try again within “the laws of Nature and Nature’s God” reflected in the Ethics of the Constitution and the Logic of the Bill of Rights.
- “Jurisdiction foreign to our constitution”: There are groups and individuals in all three branches of government and their bureaucracies that believe our Constitution is outdated or dead – including the President especially. Even some past and present Supreme Court justices look to international law and the constitutions of various other nations for something new and more capable of manipulation. That explains why they hate the Declaration, which is the moral, spiritual, and philosophical base of the Constitution.
- “Unacknowledged by our laws”: Recess appointments and Executive Orders are being applied with abandon as the Administration thumbs its nose at the House of Representatives, which it is currently striving to destroy. Pundits have been saying the Administration is out to destroy the Republican Party. The Republican Establishment doesn’t need any help from the Administration. In my opinion, it is out to destroy the Congress.
- With the compromised Senate blocking all normal legislative channels, recess appointments and Executive Orders are easily accomplished since it is also the Senate that is empowered to impeach elected officials for irresponsible and treasonous actions that are legion today.
- “Acts of pretended legislation”: Today, pretended legislation means conspiring with international financial speculators and passing laws so complicated and indefinable that they are loaded with select privileges, poison pills, and bureaucratic license that “eat out the people’s substance.”
Politicians and lobbyists would hate it for a while; but the first remedy should be declaring that no law should exceed one specific subject area or 100 pages in length, or it is by definition “pretended legislation.” It took only 27 pages to launch the Interstate Highway System!
By applying Alinsky’s “Rules for Radicals” and Cloward and Pivens strategies, the Administration and its cronies are intentionally overwhelming the system with harassment, untenable regulations, fines, and lawsuits, and they are surrendering our sovereignty. It took “progressives” a long time to dumb down the population and create a dependency of entitlement.
Advertisement-content continues below
They have created population dependency through ignorance of our laws, traditions, and history. They are actively usurping parents’ roles and responsibilities for raising children. The state has no capacity for love to raise children or care for the needy. Nor does it have any competence in the fields of health, education, and welfare. These are local responsibilities except in dire emergencies.
For starters, we must compartmentalize legislation into bite-size segments and restructure our monetary system where money is created against value, not interest-bearing debt. Our constitutionally-sworn representatives have a lot of older legislation to repeal and bureaucrats to retrain into honest occupations to avoid wasting their God-given gifts and talents.
A more detailed discussion on the Declaration may be found here.
Photo credit: snowlepard (Creative Commons)
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by WesternJournalism.com.