In an era where lying has become an art form, is it possible to hold those who take a solemn oath to protect and defend the Constitution to that pledge of honor and responsibility?
Advertisement-content continues below
The oath to be taken by the president on first entering office is specified in Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution:
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
The Constitution (Article VI, clause 3) requires that Senators and Representatives take an oath of office to support the Constitution. It reads:
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.
The military officer’s oath is similar. Solemn oaths are very serious business; an elected or hired official or military officer takes within his or her hands power over the lives and welfare of one person, or 350 million.
The Presidential oath being taken on January 21, 2013 must discern where the officeholder’s heart is and what level of power he lusts for. The same holds true for all who dare make that solemn promise while looking into 350 million pairs of eyes…
Advertisement-content continues below
The Founders were common in their belief in the core teachings of the Bible as is over 80% of the American population. The inscription on George Washington’s tomb – designed by him, reads: “I am the resurrection and the life, saith the Lord, he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.” (John 1: 25-26)
(Did he want himself remembered as a “deist”?)
It is from this belief that the core principle of the Constitution found in the Declaration finds meaning: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights; that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Would it be an understatement to say that few other than our beleaguered military take their oaths of office seriously? Renewed or newfound Love of Country is the easiest way to reverse the mortal danger he and the nation he uses are facing. The opposite of love is not hate, but use! One who truly loves cannot use the beloved, willing to lay down his life for her/him. That is what oaths are all about! The Founders saw that swearing an oath upon the Bible was natural and binding.
Today, we have three problems:
1. Swearing on the Bible as above with no intention of upholding that solemn promise. The current President actually believes the Constitution is “dead for all practical purposes” (as stated to Vladimir Putin in 2009.) Too many public servants take the oath as a rite of passage with no binding responsibilities. That must change. Now!
2. Swearing to uphold the Constitution on the Qur’an (Koran) is oxymoronic in that the holy book of the Muslims is also a theocratic code of laws strictly observed with severe penalties. It is called Sharia (Law). Buddhists, Hindus, Shintos, Sikhs, Jews, and almost the entire world’s ways of connecting with our Creator have found a place within the framework of freedom the Constitution affords. Some will always struggle because of local prejudices, but they all have the foundation of freedom to stand and build on. Not so under Sharia.
3. After years of political correctness, misguided social justice, and divisive diversity, the American people have been conditioned to be influenced by a drive to totalitarian rule. One of Alinsky’s protégés, the young lawyer Barack Hussein Obama, became its most powerful and persuasive adherent. He should take the oath on “Rules for Radicals.” (Alinsky dedicated “Rules” to Lucifer.)
Listed below are the basic tenets of the “Rules for Radicals” bible. Some call it good politics. I call it spiritual warfare. (Note: righteous citizens, elected, hired, and military are the “enemy” referred to here. My comments are in parentheses)
1. “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” (And boy have we let them bamboozle us with political correctness and the ACLU!)
2. “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” (Done consistently, in every aspect of life – health, education, welfare, environment, energy, religion, and labor, then lied about)
3. “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” (Not likely, but “progressives” will even lie about the obvious.)
4. “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” (We should “put on the whole armor of God” – it might feel good for a change!)
5. “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon”. (Ask Congress, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, etc.)
6. “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” (He who laughs last…)
7. “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.” (Exceeds their own expertise and is ultimately exposed for the lies the tactic is built from. Progressives get bored because they exceed their own knowledge or capability to understand technology or stewardship.)
8. “Keep the pressure on, with different tactics and actions, and utilize all events of the period for your purpose.” (A daily does of new crises, talking points with the complicit 5th Column in the mainstream media)
9. “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.” (Health care, fiscal cliff, debt ceiling, ad nauseum)
10. “The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.” (They are masters at it; but when their house of cards crumbles, they’ll cry like babies.)
11. “If you push a negative hard and deep enough, it will break through into its counterside…” (Love conquers all, but tough love is what is needed here.)
12. “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.” (With cadres “eating out the peoples’ substance,” they are ready every day with thousands of new rules and highly-paid operatives to seek to enforce them.)
13. “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” (Republicans have been suckered into this deep freeze for decades, with the only reprieve being under President Ronald Reagan. They will never love you, and the 5th Column media will never be on your side.)
Anyone who has faced a bully, spent time pondering Scripture, or reading history sees we are engaged in all-out spiritual warfare. While political strategies are critical, the war must be fought on the spiritual plane.
On April 14, 2005, I was privileged to be asked to read Washington’s prayer over his very tomb at Mt. Vernon. This circular was directed to the Governors and States of the new nation; his reference to them has been replaced by the words “the United States.” Otherwise, the words and spelling are those of General Washington:
I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would have the United States in his holy protection, that he would incline the hearts of the Citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to Government. To entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow Citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for their brethren who have served in the Fields, and finally, that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all, to do Justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that Charity, humility and pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristicks of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion (a paraphrase of Micah 6:8), and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation. Amen.
Now we too must pray and act!
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by WesternJournalism.com.