Remember, on the occasion of the signing of Obamacare (I mean, the ACA), the ever-classy Joe Biden telling Obama it was a BFD (big ^%&%&* deal)? Well, now it’s DOA.
Several years ago, common sense Americans challenged their representatives in Congress, objecting to healthcare reform proposed by the president. Their objections were straightforward, expressed by a substantial majority, a majority that continues to this day:
Advertisement-content continues below
- Nationalizing healthcare gives too much power to the central government: it’s un-American.
- We are already broke and cannot afford this in the first place: it will bankrupt the country.
- The federal government has bankrupted Medicare and Social Security, and it will bankrupt this as well.
- The proposal is far too complicated.
- More useful reforms are available: interstate competition, expanding private options, tamping down frivolous lawsuits, other cost control measures, certain expansions of the Medicare program to cover pre-existing conditions, etc.
- We don’t want a bureaucrat limiting what our doctor can order in terms of testing to diagnose, or in terms of treatment options.
- Federal intervention will increase costs, limit access, damage quality of care, and essentially destroy the best system in the world.
So-called representatives ignored the people. Conspiring with the criminal class in D.C., they helped this president railroad the bill, using every corrupt trick in the book. Insiders got favors, special conditions, and exemptions. Politicians were bought off. The corruption even extended to the Supreme Court. The court eventually ruled that the government has a right to force citizens to buy things they don’t want, don’t need, and can’t use. In most circles, all this is referred to as tyranny.
The $900 Billion cost estimate in the first 10 years became $2 Trillion, then $3 Trillion.
Broken promises stacked up: you can keep your insurance, you can keep your doctor, nothing will change, costs will go down, access will improve—we’re from the government, and we are here to help you.
Advertisement-content continues below
Then cracks in the smiley face appeared. More than 1,000 waivers. Special interests favored. Delays. Unlawful changes after the bill was passed and signed into law. The king simply waving his scepter, commanding compliance, violating the Constitution.
The fulfillments even caused labor unions to howl. They claimed their members would be devastated. Employers rebelled. Full time workers became part timers as employers cut back to avoid going belly up. Unemployment was aggravated, and a staggering economy began falling into the ditch, again. At least unemployed youth, about 6 million, were allowed to stay on parents’ health plans.
Then came the roll out.
In ObamaSpeak, ‘epic failure’ really means ‘a few glitches.’ The Uncle Sam Whiz Bang Insurance Sales website, three years in the making, was a total failure. It requires millions of lines of code to be rewritten at enormous cost overruns. And more is being revealed:
- Federal legislators, their staffers, and everyone in the executive branch are exempt!
- 45 states report that insurance premiums are increasing substantially across the board.
- Navigators, including unscreened recycled ACORN types, have full access to your personal information.
- There is reasonable fear that identity theft will be rampant.
- Signing up for insurance is a nightmare: online, on the phone, or in person (hello ACORN!)
- 15,000 IRS agents are poised to enforce this monster (why do they need guns?)
- Home healthcare inspectors will visit to make sure you are in compliance (is this why Obama wants our guns?)
- Taxpayers forced to pay for abortion against their will, in complete violation of the 1st Amendment.
- Most everyone in the healthcare industry calls this a disaster; doctors are retiring early, and enrollments in medical schools are down.
- Lawsuits galore: many states in full rebellion, the feds promising retaliation.
- Huge numbers of people are losing their preferred plans.
Unlike the president today in the Rose Garden, some politicians have been honest.
Sen. Max Baucus, who helped write and railroad the bill, calls it a ‘train wreck’ intentionally designed for fail. Fail? Yes. Universal care is the goal (i.e. total government control.) ObamaCare is only a stepping stone. Many Democrat leaders, including Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and Barney Frank, have openly said that the real goal is complete socialized medicine. Republican Senator Orrin Hatch agrees: ObamaCare was designed to fail so that complete control can be instituted.
Senators Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, and Mike Lee have simply heeded the voices of common sense Americans expressing majority sentiment for years. In other words, these senators are doing their jobs and representing their constituents, unlike the elitists whoring for the White House.
And by the way, you must finally conclude that ObamaCare is a total scam and a sham when even Oprah won’t endorse it. Despite Obama’s Newspeak, his tall tales, and maybe 40,000 pre-conditions covered, his signature legislation spells ObamaSnare, DOA.
Either the American people rise up and take their government back, or the government will reach down and choke the life out of this country.
That’s a death panel we won’t avoid if we submit to this madness.
Allan Erickson enjoyed an 11-year career in radio, television and print journalism as a reporter, talk show host, and operations manager. He then turned to sales and marketing for 20 years. He is the author of the book “The Cross & the Constitution in the Age of Incoherence,” Tate Publishing, 2012. He is available to speak in churches addressing the topics of faith and freedom. To contact him, email: email@example.com
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by WesternJournalism.com.