GOP officials have reported that Rick Santorum won the Iowa caucuses by 34 votes. However, votes in eight precincts will not be counted — and Mitt Romney lost seven of the eight precincts in 2008.
Officials say these eight districts did not report their results on the official “Form E” receipt. Several of the precincts overwhelmingly favored Mike Huckabee four years ago, with three of them awarding Mitt Romney zero votes. An analysis of their 2008 Iowa caucuses results shows:
- Cerro Gordo County’s Mason City Ward 2, Precinct 3. In 2008, Mike Huckabee won with 11 votes; Ron Paul, 10; Mitt Romney, zero (Fred Thompson, 4; John McCain, 5)
- Emmet County’s Estherville Ward 2. Huckabee had 5 votes; Paul, 1; Romney 6 (Thompson, 5; McCain, 4)
- Franklin County’s Geneva-Reeve. Huckabee won 7 votes; Paul, 6; Romney, zero (Thompson, 4)
- Lee County’s Fort Madison 4A. Huckabee won 17 votes; Paul, zero; Romney, 4 (Thompson, 7)
- Lee County’s Fort Madison 4B. Huckabee won 6 votes; Paul, 1; Romney, zero (Thompson, 1)
- Lee County’s Franklin-Cedar-Marion. Huckabee won 26 votes; Paul, 5; Romney, 21 (Thompson, 9; McCain, 9)
- Lee County’s Washington-Green Bay-Denmark. Huckabee won 32 votes; Paul, 12; Romney, 13 (Thompson, 19; McCain, 11)
- Pocahontas County’s Center-South Roosevelt-North Lincoln. Huckabee won 9 votes; Paul, 6; Romney, 2 (Thompson, 2; McCain, 2)
Total: Huckabee, 113 votes; Paul, 41 votes; Romney, 46 votes.
In 2008, Fred Thompson garnered 51 votes in these precincts. John McCain, who did not seriously contest the states, got 72. Three voters preferred California Congressman Duncan Hunter, and there was one vote for Rudy Giuliani.
That means there were 167 evangelical/conservative votes; 41 Constitutionalist votes; 119 “moderate” votes.
Even correcting for Romney’s superior 2008 showing, it seems likely these counties would further skew the 2012 election for Rick Santorum.
Please share this post with your friends and comment below. If you haven't already, take a moment to sign up for our free newsletter above and friend us on Twitter and Facebook to get real time updates.