Pundits say that Hispanics, single women, young people, and blacks delivered a victory for President Obama’s re-election. However, these are only external differences that do little to explain the internal unity that each group shares in their irrational devotion to secularism. The devotion is irrational because the reduced economic fruits (and social decay) it brings cannot be sustained, thereby threatening its ultimate survival.
Secularism is the worldview that elevates the state as a source of redemption. Secularists strongly adhere to a moral construct based upon moral relativism. Secularists favor government intervention in markets. They also believe in legal positivism (the Constitution is a living document that evolves based upon the interpretation of activist judges.) They also believe in social justice, a state intervention that exchanges freedom for outcome equality. This exchange has never ended well throughout history. It invites a form of utopianism. Students of history understand that utopianism always leads to tyranny.
The irrational devotion to secularism in the 2012 Presidential election can be seen from the following facts:
1) When President Obama took office, the unemployment rate was 7.9 percent and stayed there for his term.
2) Real median household income has decreased over $4,000 during Obama’s term.
3) When Barack Obama took office, the average price of a gallon of gasoline was $1.85. Today, the average price of a gallon of gasoline is over $3.71.
4) Since becoming president, the number of long-term unemployed Americans has risen by 2.5 million.
5) For the first time in the post-World War II era, the employment-population ratio has not recovered after a recession. The percentage of working-age Americans with a job has been below 59 percent for three years in a row. The labor participation rate plummeted to almost 50-year lows.
6) The number of Americans on food stamps has grown from 31.9 million to approximately 47 million.
7) The U.S. government has run a budget deficit of well over a trillion dollars every year under Obama.
8) The U.S. credit rating was downgraded from AAA status for the first time ever.
9) Since Obama took office, the U.S. national debt has increased by almost 60%.
10) The combination of high unemployment, increased debt, division based upon identity politics, establishment of an unprecedented number of czars that circumvent congressional review, the appointment of two progressive Supreme Court justices, the inability to submit a budget, the reverence for redistribution, the bowing before other heads of state, the denial of America being a Christian nation, the radical associations before taking office, the radical appointments after taking office, etc. all clearly suggest that President Obama is a secularist who believes that man was born good and simply requires the state to perfect his existence. He has even stated that he believes his salvation is tied to “collective salvation” based upon a utopian secular ideal. Despite stating that he is a Christian (with the doctrinal requirement that salvation is through Christ alone), President Obama has stated he believes his mother, Stanley Ann Dunham (an avowed atheist), is in heaven and that Christ may not be the only way to heaven. Obama’s theological confusion arises from the fact that he is a secularist. He believes in the state.
The views expressed in this opinion article are solely those of their author and are not necessarily either shared or endorsed by WesternJournalism.com.